What If I Don’t File an SR-1 After An Accident?

What If I Don’t File an SR-1 After An Accident?

What is an SR-1?

For anyone who's been in an accident - regardless if it was a single car or pile up - the thought of filing a police report can be stressful. Aside from the accident itself being a stress-inducer, the additional process of filing a report and claim can be tedious. Many people may want to handle these matters alone with their insurance company, while others may not even know that an accident report may be necessary.

Also known as an SR-1, a motor vehicle accident report is required following an accident involving one or more of these three factors:

  • Property damage totaling $1,000 or more
  • Bodily injury
  • Death

Since it does take more severe circumstances to require reporting, there can be more serious consequences if an SR-1 is not filed.

Failure to Report

Like how insurance companies may require a police report to make a substantial claim, Arkansas requires that these be filed if any or all of the factors mentioned above are present. Not doing so would be considered "failure to report."

If you fail to report an accident, you can face several consequences, most notably being a $100 fine or license suspension, depending on the severity of the case.


There are also some instances in which failure to report could be considered negligence. If you are involved in an accident that results in injury or death, it is in your duty of care to act reasonably and call the police, if physically able. More severe consequences could result from not doing so, including escalated charges from the injured's family.

Car Accident Injury? Call our Arkansas Attorneys

Easley & Houseal, PLLC's dedicated team of attorneys has over 65 years of combined experience serving Arkansas motorists. As one of the state's leading personal injury firms, our attorneys have recovered millions in damages for clients. We lead with the philosophy "always protect the client's best interests," which means that we will fight for your right to stay safe on the roads, free from injury.

If you or a loved one has been a victim of another's negligence, contact our firm today! Call (870) 330-0015 to schedule a free consultation.


Contact Us Today!

All Consultations are Free and Confidential
    • Please enter your name.
    • Please enter your name.
    • Please enter your email address.
      This isn't a valid email address.
    • Please make a selection.
    • Please enter a message.